Wednesday 9 March 2022

Stumbled onto the Encanto Oscar nomination...


 ... and my very own conspiracy theory.

I have decided to make these shorter for my sake and whoever is kind enough to continue reading these needless posts of mine. 

The past few years I have tried to be well versed in each years Oscar's nominations, so I can have an informed Oscar pool and, consequently, free drinks next time I go out with friends. This year has gone terribly, I have seen embarrassingly few nominated movies, one of which is Encanto, because I even prioritised the ones directed towards children.

I was not crazy about the movie. It felt very meh. The plot and life lessons were meh. What was certainly not meh was the music. Lin-Manuel Miranda wrote the music, so the music was ...enchanting. Rightfully so, one of those songs is nominated for Best Original Song this year, against 'No Time to Die', atmospherically sung by Billie Eillish. But, was it the best Encanto song that was selected to compete with the Bond theme? Was it the pop beat that could easily dominate the radio while still narrating a character's search for purpose beyond her superhuman gift and articulating the anxiety that chaperones success? (cough, cough, Miranda). What about the earworm Latin number with voices over voices over voices making up an unprecedented sound for a Disney movie, with Miranda's signature witty lyrics? No. The ballad is what is nominated. The forgettable ballad. Not a bad ballad. But certainly not the amazing track that the aforementioned songs or at the very least 'Family Madrigal' were. 

Here is the conspiracy. This is a all an Oscar's ruse to make sure that Bond wins. I think it would anyway, that song has been very successful. But I believe they eradicated the competition so no one will question these results. Because both 'Surface Pressure' and 'We don't talk about Bruno' could take it. I am convinced this goes all the way back to the Queen; she and Daniel Craig share a bond since he parachuted her down at the Olympics. I know I sound insane, but do I sound more insane than Lin-Manuel Miranda having zero Academy Awards after Moana and Encanto? I think not!

No comments:

Post a Comment