Tuesday 13 April 2021

Stumbled onto postgraduate marking

 


This is a tricky post as I need to make sure I do not breech any confidentiality guidelines. I mean I couldn’t, because all the scripts we mark are anonymised and I’ve never met the students. But you know, it is in my nature to worry, so I must. This will be a non-pop cultural account of my experience with marking postgraduate students and a horrible choice for a guide to anyone who might be preparing a postgraduate assignment, which will be marked by a poorly paid, frustrated PhD student. There are ways to get on our good side.

First of all, it might come as a shocker that PhD students do some of that marking, but said shock can be easily overcome when you start counting heads in your classroom (or Zoom meeting, as of late) and acquire a ratio of students to lecturer from said head counting. If this did not make sense to you, you would likely be one of the students I would bitch about while marking statistics. In other words, it is not feasible for one lecturer to mark all assignments, so it is most likely that we will do the initial marking and then the main lecturer will second mark some of those scripts. If one wants to ensure that they will get marked by the main lecturer, they could write a terrible assignment that will most likely fail. Then, as PhD students are filled with such guilt that Matt Murdock (aka Daredevil) himself would envy, we will most likely ask the main lecturer to fail them instead. That is what I do, anyway and it is an ironclad technique for better sleep. However, rest assured, we are doing our best to mark you fairly, as we feel that we are being judged on our marking ability as well. We wouldn’t jeopardise future income just so that we can take out our rage for when we were unfairly marked as Master’s students. And we were. I still believe that whoever marked my developmental psychology assignment should burn in hell.

Also, I might have not mentioned this enough, but we are poorly paid. This is precisely why we are the markers of choice. Sometimes to the extent that our formal responsibility accounts to spending 15 minutes per script. Regardless, the only way for me to spend the minimum allocated time on a script is for the student to have gotten a secret copy of our specific marking criteria, ticked off every box, travel forward in time and read my feedback and go back to make additional corrections. Otherwise, most of us reduce our occupational worth in the name of fairness. It is not just marking  each script. I mean, everyone has their own way, so what if mine includes an Excel sheet in order to find key characteristics in each submission, team up all the similar scripts and check that they all fit in the same, beautiful grade band? Does that make me a bit obsessive? Have I wasted a lot of unnecessary time so I can then get complaints from students that they feel I have simply glanced over their scripts?

We have collectively stumbled onto some nice, further advice for students here; please refrain from complaining about your low grade if you have submitted bullet points for an essay. I generally find that the scripts that are on the verge of a better mark, but fall just below hardly ever complain; it is the shitty scripts that I barely gave a pass that come back to haunt me. I guess it makes sense, if one considers something of that sort as an acceptable submission for a postgraduate degree, it must all seem pretty uniform in their world.

Having said that, I must now admit to something that I probably shouldn’t for my future state of mind. PhD students are notoriously stricter markers that seasoned academics. Supposedly, because we have seen less insanely bad scenarios and because we ourselves must reach a higher standard for our work, we do mind when students forget to dot their I’s. And I must admit, the first year I marked assignments, my instinct was to furiously mark down anyone who didn’t properly italise. We must all bow to the God’s of font! But then I realised I would have to fail whole cohorts and decided to overlook the odd, misplaced comma. Sometimes. Some comma’s are very important! Now I find myself writing kind, encouraging feedback to students that dealt with a formal assignment as a ‘Dear diary’ entry. I wish I was exaggerating, but I have actually read assignments about how their best friends were shy and that affected their results. With that type of language.

Okay, time to be sincere. Please do not actually take advice on assignments from this post I wrote up as a break from my marking. It is filled with sorrow and unnecessary irony. However, if I did have to advise anyone submitting anything is to look after their assignment, groom it and make sure that it reflects a good amount of time and effort. I propose that you do for two main reasons; first of all, we do mark good academic language, structure, flow and presentation. These do reflect actual points that can get you from one grade band to another. The second reason is that if we feel that you have put in a lot of effort and perhaps misunderstood or made a genuine mistake, we will be on your side. We will skim that script for extra marks, fight the second marker for that morale boost, or if you have really otherwise fucked up, write a more polite and instructional feedback section. You can’t lose.

Well, look at the time. Time for me to go back to my crazy Excel sheet and see if I can bump up anyone who took the time to read APA guidelines for tables and figures. Those are my favourite people in the world. Run free, my friends, and spread the word to your fellow classmates about when to use indents for headings.

Oh, and reference everything. When in doubt; reference. When not in doubt; become in doubt and, again, reference.

1 comment: