Tuesday 6 April 2021

Stumbled onto a (non-existent) head bump

 


Remember when the coronavirus era had only just began? I do. As a hypochondriac, I remember stocking up on antiseptic and pretending to be Bradley Cooper from Limitless, chucking a brainwave amplification pill, but calculating the direction of spit molecules in slow motion. This pandemic has been so overwhelming for my anxiety, I almost forgot about all the other ways I was afraid of dying. But just like everyone else, my mind is just about bored of this situation and a bit more numb to the undeniable danger. This left space for previous fears to reoccur, just so I never feel bored. Or, you know, calm.

I have been avoiding check-ups for obvious reasons (obvious for me, that is) but it was about time that I get a blood test to make sure that my incredible paleness is within the lower, yet acceptable, bounds of Fe levels. I am not sure if this goes for all countries, but here in Greece you are asked to eat nothing for 12 hours prior to the test and preferably be off your period (the second one goes for half the population mostly). I chose to follow the former instruction and forego the latter. The blood test was interesting in itself, as in my anxiety actually stopped the blood mid flow. I wasn’t even aware that was possible! The nurse looked perplexed; she had to pierce a different vein and asked me to think of a beach, or puppies, or whatever calms me down, anyway. I went for James Welsh’ latest video bashing Gwyneth Paltrow; different things work on different people. Once the test was over, I imagine I looked significantly paler than usual, because no one had suggested I sit down for a while prior to the test, but they sure did after. I was guided to a nearby couch and instructed to hang out there until walking was a negligible challenge for my blood pressure. I fondly remember singing ‘My Shot’ from Hamilton in my head, if anything a bit faster than the original tempo, and was pretty sure I wasn’t annoying anybody. I clearly remember going through the first verse, but the next thing I remember is staring at the ceiling surrounded by four torsos staring at me intensely. This confused me as I was expecting the Mulligan’s verse about how the American rebellion was also motivated by caste and socioeconomic status, and that verse never came. I eventually deducted that that the doctor holding my legs up wasn’t inspecting the dirt on my shoes, but I most likely fainted and fell off the couch. My first thought was, of course, embarrassment. This was a public place I chose to faint in and my loss of consciousness involved a number of people I inconvenienced. Is there a greater horror than that for a socially anxious person? Once I got over that particular anxiety, I remembered that as a proper hypochondriac, I should also panic about having hit my head.

I apologised about 50 times for fainting and then proceeded to ask the staff about 50 more whether I hit my head. I was assured that my head was fine and that I fell in a polite and conservative manner from a small height, which we all know is code for PERMANENT BRAIN DAMAGE. I drove home, regardless, as nobody else was convinced that my consciousness was forever compromised. Since then, each day has been a struggle not to Google my potential head bump. I say potential, because the bump admittedly never formed. From previous experience, Googling such events leads to anything from a concussion to multiple personality disorder.  Problem is, I don’t need Google to come up with insane conditions regarding head bumps; I have seen too many movies.

Amy Schumer’s ‘I Feel Pretty’ features the protagonist bumping her head and suddenly seeing herself as much more beautiful than she did before. I am not ready for such a confidence boost at the moment, and cannot even imagine the disappointment of re-bumping my head and thinking I look like that failed Fresco restoration painting. In ‘What men/women want’ the lead characters bump their heads and end up hearing all the thoughts of the opposite sex. And that just sounds immensely boring after a couple of days. Sure, I would find out a few interesting things that people wouldn’t say to my face, but all in all I prefer getting the filtered, edited version of what people around me are thinking. Remember, not all thoughts are interesting.

According to the movies, I might also get amnesia; and just like in ‘Overboard’ someone might pretend to be my wife and steal my fortune. They would have to convince me that I was a lesbian for this scenario and that I have some fortune worth putting up with me for. I might be taken advantage of, but I am definitely not getting the worst end of that deal. Amnesia could make me feral like a wolverine and send me on a quest to figure out my adamantium skeleton and my ageless looks. As a hypochondriac, this not a bad option; Wolverine had self-healing powers and was therefore safe from loads of my other worries. Nonetheless, I would still need to get in writing that my origin story will not include a botched Deadpool and bad CGI.

The world may change once I regain my consciousness. I could be risking a zombie apocalypse where I could be the least prepared person. I’ll set up a reminder to pack a survival bag in case of future head bumpings. I might be the only person left to remember the Beatles and simply rebrand their songs as my own. That is good enough motivation to both practice the piano and trip down the stairs, now that I think of it. On second thought, probably in the opposite order as the piano might otherwise be a waste of time. I might be a mild hypochondriac but I am sure as hell lazy. Seeing as Hamilton was the last thing I remember before fainting, maybe I could claim the hit musical as my own, rather than the Beatles musical anthology. How I would convince people that I came up with two and a half hours of rap lyrics about one of the founding fathers of the US, I am not yet sure; it is not very on brand.

Okay, some of my non-googled, imaginary scenarios were indeed worrisome, but all in all more fun than cancer and paralysis. Therefore, I am happy to conclude that WebMD is officially worse than a zombie apocalypse. Maybe it is worth starting a forum for all anxious people to write down their mountains out of molehills, so that we can all get together and write up the next superhero origin story. Bring down Disney! Get Zack Snyder out of a job (I am still slowly working my way through my Snyder frustration)! Oh my God! I need to bump my head! The world depends on it!

(Is this post indication that I should have my head looked at after all?)

No comments:

Post a Comment