Friday 31 January 2020

Stumbled onto Comedians on High Horses Getting Sour



I love stand-up comedy. I love stand-up comedians. They write the best series, they open the best ceremonies (see previous post), they are the best talk show guests (again, see previous post) and some of them, late in their careers, surprise you with some sort of acting chops. I think everyone remembers the first time they watched George Carlin hysterically rant about religion and airplanes, with pretty much the same rigour, or the first time they saw Michael McIntyre’s physical comedy or heard Louis CK’s controversial paedophile jokes. Comedy just seems to open up a whole new window of communication; it is challenging rather than straightforward, it can be amazing in its dumbest and most thought-provoking forms alike and it invigorates our dull, everyday life. It applies to everyone; everyone appreciates whatever they consider funny, be that a Gerard Butler romcom or a Gerard Butler action film. I do not take comedians’ work lightly, I have great appreciation for them. If it weren’t for the drugs and polygamy and psychological damage that seem to be prerequisites for the job, I would aspire to marry one. So, it is probably people like me that have given them so much power and self-importance and for that I apologise.

I know I just elevated comedians to gods, but in all honesty, they are the adult version of a clown. And except Joaquin Phoenix, no one gets that much critical acclaim pretending to be a clown. But there is an emerging trend to treat these entertainers like messiahs and that results in two major mistakes; taking what they are saying way too seriously and taking what they are saying way too seriously. The first mistake is essentially quoting Colbert to make an argument, which I am guilty of, when the monologue you are referencing involves an eyebrow dance, an oversimplification of the political climate and a spelling mistake ripped to pieces. The second mistake is thinking Ricky Gervais is right-wing for making fun of the Hollywood Elite’s activism, considering he is one of them and he himself tweets about animal cruelty about 50 times per day. Rightfully so. I love Conan more than life itself, but whenever I see comments on YouTube such as ‘Conan 2020’ I begin understanding why Trump won the elections. It is perfectly fine and enjoyable for comedians to have political opinions and many times a lot of comedy revolves around politics, but in no way is ‘funny’ a useful qualification for most other jobs. Again, there is some crossover, like Al Franken, but in general, coming up with funny nicknames and doing impressions might not be the best criteria for office. And because I am clearly talking about Trump in the previous sentence: dumb nicknames and unwarranted impressions. And to throw in a Greek example, looking like Mr Bean shouldn’t be a criterion either. But yeah, if a comedian is getting more claps and political endorsements than laughs, maybe they should add a few more one-liners, Jimmy Carr style.

Taking comedians too seriously is our fault, not theirs. What is mostly their fault is this spoilt, privileged complaining about the struggles of political correctness. White, male comedians (mostly) can no longer perform racist, sexist, homophobic, insensitive materials and this is an injustice they cannot stand. What are they meant to do? Come up with new material that reflects this time and age? Adapt? Like in all other professions? There used to be professional typists and one day, out of nowhere, Microsoft Word came out (not sure if this statement is historically accurate, maybe something predated Microsoft Word, but I have no means to find out). I am assuming these people learnt a different craft, or at the very least learnt to use a computer keyboard rather than a typewriter. Outside courthouses that is. Comedians are especially privileged because even if they do not adapt and they perform this jaw-dropping, norm-shaking ‘uncensored’ material, they will find a crowd that likes it; they just might not like the crowd. I refuse to feel sorry for Louis CK having to make less money by performing in red states because he wants to make, in my opinion, unfunny remarks about the Parkland shooting high-schoolers. If he had a funny joke that involved the Parkland survivors without the sole goal of insulting them, I have confidence that the liberal world he dearly misses would laugh with him again.

I began my day thinking I would write about how much I hated Veganuary, or how I did not like ‘The Irishman’ and would take any ‘theme-park’ superhero movie than watching a CGI version of DeNiro for three and a half hours and I ended up trying to convince myself to take comedians less seriously. None of my goals were achieved today. I would vote for Tom Hanks if he run for Greek office.

Image from Reddit.

No comments:

Post a Comment