Wednesday 14 February 2018

Stumbled on to something Marvelous (finally)


I am so happy to write about something I loved rather than a stupid comic book adaptation franchise who continues to make one stupid decision after the other and is still going forward with replacing one of unexpectedly good casting decisions, even though my blog specifically told them not to. And they always find a way to sneak into my new entries in the form of unnecessarily long sentences. I will stop now. And begin this topic. No more DC dissing.

I will begin with a huge thank you to Amy Sherman-Palladino, for never letting me down. I have been a Gilmore Girls fan since forever and when I heard a new Sherman-Palladino series was happening I could not help but be thrilled. And then I found out it was an Amazon production, which meant good budget and some of those swear words you always felt Lorelei would use but somehow didn’t. And I was right! Beautiful characters, beautiful setting and most importantly, those Amy Sherman-Palladino dialogues. I could listen to her witty, never-ending sentences for hours and I wouldn’t even care what the topic was. Honestly, between Midge (the marvelous Mrs. Maisel) talking about brisket and a doctor talking about my urgent blood test results, I would take the brisket.

And what an empowering series for women! I know feminism is finally a thing in Hollywood, but I just think this is how it should be done. New characters, with original storylines, drawing influences from female comediennes who were renegades amongst a male-dominated profession. Yes, I think it should be that specific. Re-boots are okay and so is giving Kristen Wiig diarrhoea while in a puffy dress, but this is just so much better. The main character is a beautiful, feminine woman who is also smart, strong-minded, competent, funny and pissed off. This is the empowering bit. But there is another bit there; the realistic bit about why gender inequality sucked and sucks. She is also a wife that had to down-play her wit to protect her husband’s ego. She is also insecure about her looks, even though she is gorgeous, because a woman with personality does not measure up to a thin and proportionate woman. Okay, it is set in 1958, but is this not some of the oppression that lingers on? And isn’t it beautiful to show that behind a seemingly mainstream, pretty, pleasant woman there is brains and madness? I think it is.

So Lorelei 2.0 is a great character and Rachel Brosnahan, who portrays her, is a good lead. It is not just her though; just like Gilmore Girls, all the surrounding characters are an absolute joy. This is perhaps the least realistic depiction of society, the one in Amy Sherman-Palladino’s world. Everyone is funny, everyone is smart and everyone is enjoyable. I am fine with watching a spin-off series with Drina Romanoff, the fortune teller, THAT is how good all the supporting characters are. And you have got to love Tony Shalhoub, any scene he is in is the best and I am now obviously watching all of ‘Monk’ just to get more of him.

I started the previous paragraph with a subtle hint of judgement, the Lorelei 2.0 comment. It is true, the characters, the relationships, the pace, the dialogues are all very similar to Gilmore Girls, but is there anyone who minds? Lorelei (now Midge) was a terrific character, Richard and Emily Gilmore (now the Weissmans) were lovable in all their oppressive parenting glory, Sookie (now Imogene) was a loyal friend and Chris (now Joel) was a jerk but no one really hated him, did they? So yeah, it is all very familiar, I mean Alex Borstein is in both, but it is just that good. And the story line is just that good.  It doesn’t matter that it is familiar, it is familiar for all the right reasons.


And I just want to say this. I know a lot of men have missed out on Gilmore Girls because at a first glance it looks like a family drama aimed towards girls. I know some guys possibly felt ashamed to engage in the mother-daughter drama. Well, if you need an excuse to watch this one, so you do not miss out on another Sherman-Palladino series, Rachel Brosnahan flashes a comedy club. Feel free to say you watch it for the nudity and actually watch it for the words.

No comments:

Post a Comment