Friday 13 March 2020

Stumbled onto a pandemic as a hypochondriac: Blog in the Time of Corona

This is a great time to be a hypochondriac. There is a lot of understanding. Nobody looks at you weird when you wash your hands singing the chorus from Africa by Toto. Nobody thinks you are extreme when you go on a full expedition just to make sure you are not drinking from someone else’s glass. Nobody comments on your insanely dry hands. Taking off your phone case and disinfecting your phone? You, socially appropriate bastard. Of course, there is the constant fear that you have or will get coronavirus and pass it on like the Olympic flame. That one is a bummer.

Life during this pandemic has been very creative. I have developed a nice little regime to get through. For example, as a hypochondriac I am of course doing a number of remedies; my gargles, my warm teas, shooting hot water up my nose and constant complaining to anyone with a phone or my housemate. I have also had to schedule my use of items that I do not want near my bed. That will be (1) my phone, currently placed onto my eyeshadow palette that is no longer of any use, (2) my laptop which contains all of the stuff I should stop reading to control my paranoia and (3) my socks. Now, this is where I have gotten very creative. The dilemma here is that I do not want to go barefoot to wash my hands before going to bed, but do not want my socks in bed because they have done the bed-bathroom route. Also, I do not want to touch said socks with my now clean hands. So, I have mastered the art of taking socks off with my own feet. And I mean all socks; long, short, elastic. This is not so hard, I hear you say. How about putting on socks with your feet because you want to get a glass of water but do not want to wash your hands? Well, you are looking at the master of that too. This pandemic goes on for much longer, I’ll be playing piano with my feet.

This has also been a great time for refreshing my maths. For example, I check my temperature based on the Fibonacci sequence. First, I waited for two hours, then three, then five and then a full eight-hour wait between my normal temperature readings. Take that, Tool. Secondly, I have had a chance to calculate how much faster than the duration of a second I count in my head, and successfully adjusted my counting for washing my hands (and holding my breath to check my lungs are working). I am counting .05% faster. Not bad. Surely, there are numerous graphs explaining exponential growth and the ‘flattening the curve’ argument, but I thought this was the best use of maths for me.

Lastly, as a hypochondriac I have gotten a great amount of physical rest. Considering I have more or less abandoned society. My tiny apartment has few places for me to travel and a very, very comfortable couch. My physical labour is however long a shower takes. I have been in a semi-sitted position for so long my back hurts. And sometimes my upper back hurts and I think the virus has come for my lungs. But then I just shuffle around a bit and all is well. Mentally, I am exhausted. Mentally, I am living through five different dystopian scenarios. Some of them not so bad; I have given myself superpowers for those. Superpower for scenario one: shape shifting. Superpower: for scenario two: calm and rationality.

Will I need therapy after this? Most likely. This post is thankfully an exaggeration of my time through the pandemic. I could not possibly spend my whole day worried; I have series to watch. But as I guess we are all a little bit more paranoid that we were a month ago, I just found it therapeutic to poke some fun at my hideous, dry skin and my unnecessary precautions. Why I felt the need for anyone else to read this is a mystery. Hopefully, this is a less stressful read about the pandemic than any of the emails we have all gotten today. I mean, since when is Krispy Kreme out to scare me?

From what I’ve gathered we should all wash our hands and stay home as much as possible, so let’s all start a blog and complain about the lack of pasta from afar. And moisturize.

No comments:

Post a Comment