Thursday 13 February 2020

Stumbled onto my Failed Oscar Predictions




10/24.

Disaster. Let’s say 10/20, because honestly, I had no idea about either short films or documentaries. But, at best, my predictions were at chance level. Which pretty much means they were coincidental. Which pretty much means I’ve fallen behind in Breaking Bad (considering the series ended seven years ago, this delay is not so detrimental) and have postponed the last eight episodes of Bojack Horseman (which, on the other hand, is killing me) for nothing! I am none the wiser! I know it’s not a competition, but dammit I should have won. Here are the nominees for ‘my predictions were obviously not in line with the Academy’.

Writing (original screenplay)

In my previous blog, having not seen the Parasite, I had predicted Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (once again, OUT) would win in this category. But on the day, I did actually go for Parasite because it was an awesome screenplay that had everything. So I won. It was one of those great wins, where it felt like all the celebrity attendees were shifting in their seats and started thinking ‘maybe this will pull a Roma and get Best Director as well. But certainly not Best Picture’.

Writing (adapted screenplay)

This was probably the happiest I was all evening. Jojo Rabbit was my absolute favourite film and Taika Waititi should be accepting all the awards and giving all the speeches. Every time I am about to give up on comedic movies, someone dressed as Hitler shows up and changes my mind.

Visual effects

I don’t want to talk about it. But if we can’t protect the rightful winner, you’ll be damn sure we’ll avenge them.

Sound editing and mixing

I got one of the two right, the one for 1917, but I am not sure which one that was. And while part of me feels shame for taking credit for something I don’t even understand, another part of me also feels shame, but for getting so few of the Oscar categories right. And the second part of me feels greater shame. The unforeseen winner was Ford vs Ferrari, which was loud and, to my understanding, therefore deserved the award.

Short film(s)

So I didn’t get either of these right. I also found out that I had actually watched Kitbull and I found it very sweet. I have since watched the winner for short film animated, as promised, Hair Love, and it was beautiful. I am sure they all were. What could go wrong in such a short period of time? Were it three and a half hours long, I would be more hesitant. Yes, in case you are wondering, this is a subtle jab at The Irishman. Subtle, though, the big one is pending…

Production Design

I am still confused as to why 1917 didn’t win this one. Wasn’t this like a feat? Wasn’t this like an over-the-top achievement? So, OUT won, which I guess is okay. Like, no hard feelings. I’ll give out some of that Quentin love.

Music (original song)

I loved ‘Stand Up’ because that woman had pipes and I sort of danced to ‘I Can’t Let You Throw Yourself Away’ because that shit was catchy. But I don’t think the Academy could have done any differently, but give Elton John another Oscar for best original song. I bet it played at least once during his after-party.

Music (Original score)

Another one I got right! Joker won this fair and square. The music was befitting, memorable and all-around enjoyable. Even though I could enjoy this moment, I went and Googled Guardians of the Galaxy to see if they got this award back in the day. And they did not. I am trying to withhold my rage as these two instances are unrelated and focus on the first woman to win an Oscar in this category, focus on me who also won a point in our Oscar pool, and is a woman, and focus on the fact that Joker did not win Screenplay or Picture which would have let me throw myself away.

Makeup and Hair

It’s like I have purposefully put the ones I successfully predicted one after the other. The work on Charlize was phenomenal, maybe next time Scorcese can get these guys to work on Al Pacino’s face instead of CGI. I lost my visual effects argument as the Avengers didn’t win so now, make up is all I can mock them with.

International Feature Film

Predictable.

Film editing

Once again, Ford vs Ferrari came in out of nowhere and scooped up an Oscar. It was a respectable film that I foolishly overlooked in my bets for the Oscars. I think we all got blindsided by the promotion of 1917 as Sunday’s big winner that we thought of nothing else. And everything else won something.

Documentaries

American Factory (feature) and Learning to Skateboard In a Warzone (If You Are a Girl) (short). Maybe I’ll watch the Hollywood remakes with Cuba Gooding Jr, or Scuba Gouda as I very commonly pronounce his name. I am a bit of a Travolta, myself.

Costume Design

Woohoo, another win! I would like to thank the Academy and Greta Gerwig and whoever made the costumes. I couldn’t have done it without you.

Cinematography

Again, predictable. Also, Roger Deakins has amazing hair! If I could have hair like that when I am his age, I would be grateful. I would even ask for an Oscar. Also, 1917 deserved this; it was above all else, a great collaboration between the director and cinematographer and I guess he won an Oscar for both of them. Plus kudos to George McKay for running as much as he did; I didn’t know if I would have another opportunity to say that.

Animated Feature Film

Nostalgia trumps all! Toy Story 4 got best animated feature and reminded me to go hug my stuffed doggie the moment I got home. I used to have a Woody doll when I was a kid; I had written ‘Andy’ on the bottom of his boot because I don’t think I knew how to write my own name back then. I wasn’t a necessarily bright kid.

Actress in a Supporting Role

I am very upset. While Laura Dern gave a great performance, I can’t believe Scarlett Johansson didn’t win for that coal spread she pulled on her face. I know the previous sentence doesn’t make much sense out of context, but Scarlett was phenomenal in Jojo Rabbit is all you need to know. And should have won. Maybe she could have lent the Oscar to Dern for a couple of days.

Actress in a Leading Role

Again, I am very upset. Because once again Scarlett Johansson didn’t win for that mom bob she rocked throughout Marriage Story. However, I am mostly upset because another biopic, that nobody really cared for, won for featuring a much loved figured. Marriage Story deserved more, but maybe Noah Baumbuch caught an Oscarsnub-irus from Greta Gerwig. I might be wrong, considering I was wrong for most of these, but I believe history will reward Johansson’s performances during this Oscar season. But not next year, I don’t think she is getting a nomination for Black Widow.

Actor in a Supporting Role

And the Oscar goes to Brad Pitt’s speechwriter. They have worked very hard and delivered time and time again. I am not exaggerating; Brad Pitt had to publicly say he did not hire any speechwriters but simply got help from friends. Either way, the speeches were great, the performance was incredible and OUT got some well-deserved recognition. And so did Pitt, because I honestly think he is a really good actor that everyone kind of assumed had only made it based on his looks. Because the looks are also really good. Especially as of late. That jaw line. Have I side-tracked and just proved a point? Anyway, what I meant to say is that looks can be misleading. Someone can be both handsome, portray a peanut-butter-loving Death and hold their own opposite DiCaprio.

Actor in a Leading Role

You know how sometimes having a minority opinion makes you feel very strongly about something and blinds you to an extent? Consider me blinded. Joaquin Phoenix did an excellent job; he was captivating. He wasn’t the Joker, but an excellent psychotic clown regardless. I don’t like that he and Heath Ledger share the same award for the same role, but I am trying to be more open-minded. Next step, the Tony’s! He sang for ‘Walk the Line’, he danced for ‘Joker’, I am sure he will be cast in a musical sooner rather than later.

Directing

This is where things got tense. Will it be Sam Mendes, with his faux one shot movie? Everyone thought so. Will it be Scorcese, with his Mafia movie filled CV? People with greater patience than mine thought so. Will it be Tarantino, with his signature blend of splatter, comedy and feet? I think he thought so, that is why he promoted Bong Joon-Ho’s work without hesitation. Will it be Todd Phillips? Fuck no! If so, give it to Scorcese for the King of Comedy. Aaaaand it’s Parasite winning the second of the big awards, the indicators of Best Picture! Bong Joon-Ho gave a sweet speech, honoured his fellow nominees and probably sat unaware of the revolutionary announcement that was to come. I mean, he was only meant to get best International Film, wasn’t he?

Best Picture

 I still have muscle memory of how I reacted when Parasite was announced as the winner of Best Picture. My mouth was half open but attempting a smirk. I was something between surprised, intrigued and satisfied. Parasite deserved it; it was a brilliant story with well-executed characters, unexpected plot twists and a societal message. It was also a very visually unique motion picture. Of course it won! Of course we all thought a Hollywood movie would, but it’s nice to see they didn’t. It’s nice to impose that level of threat on the industry the very year a Hollywood homage was competing (don’t get me wrong, I loved said Hollywood homage). It’s nice to get some justice for Roma; another International Feature Film that should have won Best Picture. It’s nice to see a real socio-political commentary win rather than the Joker, who never decided what it was trying to say. It’s nice to see a two hour movie that felt ten times more relevant win instead of a product of a different time.

So that’s the last of my Oscars obsession. I will now go back where I belong; Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO, Hulu, illegal streaming services and, soon enough, Disney+. And even though this is an opportunity to present myself as a cinephile, a calculated viewer with no ulterior motive, can I just point out that ‘The Irishman’ won nothing? Pity.

No comments:

Post a Comment