Tuesday 17 September 2019

Stumbled onto 25



I don’t do very personal posts, but it was my 25th birthday and 25 is a special age. As I have repeatedly said today, it is the first age that rounds up to 30. And as a friend very insensitively pointed out, I now belong to the 25-44 age range. First of all, it is an absolutely fine age, a good number, a very common number, especially on discount labels. Problem is, I still feel like a teenager (and probably act like one too). I can stretch it to barely an adult because I pay bills and vote, occasionally. In other words, I am behind! I am sitting in a basement wearing a Conan O’Brien shirt (a birthday gift), with a Winnie the Pooh blanket (a loan) trying to arrange a Munchkin get-together (another birthday gift). And those birthday gifts are on point! Anyway, as it is my birthday and a number of people have wished for all my wishes to come true, I’ll write a couple of them down. And they should all come true according to my friends, therefore they agree. Birthday wishes are now essentially like Apple’s Terms and Conditions. All my friends can hope for is that I am not a flat-earther at this point.

I wish for the cinematic superhero genre to never end!

Marvels’ Avengers Endgame was phenomenal and its premiere is one of the happiest moments of my life, along with getting accepted to uni, graduating and the births of all my nieces and nephews. So now I am worried that that’s it! That the momentum is lost. That the story ended and we are all sceptical about bothering with a new one. And I include myself because I haven’t even gone to watch Spiderman: Far from home. Me! Spiderman! I have not lost faith, James Gunn is doing another Guardians of the Galaxy, also semi-rebooting Suicide Squad, Taika Waititi is doing the next Thor and will also be in Suicide Squad (don’t get my hopes up just to knock them down, DC), Scott Derickson is doing another Dr Strange and Kumail Nanjiani joined the Eternals along with the Stark brothers, the KINGS IN THE NORTH! I love superheroes, I love light-hearted sci-fi movies, I love being able to have inside jokes with almost all of the population and still call them inside jokes. Hollywood, please don’t let the superhero genre die; us nerds have not yet had our full vengeance on the cool people.

I wish for a pause in series productions!

I need to catch up. Essentially, there are too many good series and I do not have time to watch them all because new good series are coming up all the time. And I don’t always know whether a series will be any good, I might end up wasting valuable series-watching time on shit like Carnival Row. Mind you, Cara Delavingne is the lead, all the warnings were there. But if we all just mutually agree that nothing new will come out for about a year, we can all then spend this time wisely, watch the Sopranos and Battlestar Galactica, maybe even Cheers and Seinfeld if we want to go that far back, catch up on the Handmaiden’s Tale (and by that I mean abortion laws in Georgia), check out Barry as well as the Will and Grace reboot. And if we have absolutely no social life, we can always rewatch all the series we love and miss. Or Rivedale, there’s no judgement in rewatches.

I wish for Benefit cosmetics to make all their make-up cruelty free!

Because I am not giving up meat and I need some way to deal with all that guilt. Benefit, you might have the best bronzer, concealer, mascaras and brow pencils, but if I have to, I will buy drugstore.

I wish for Conan O’Brien to host the Oscars!

I have an obsession with this human being and, yes, eventually someone will need to do something to snap me out of it. But instead, I am being enabled by friends (see first birthday gift above), therefore I rightfully wish for him to host the Oscars. Because he is awesome and he deserves it. And I live and breathe for the moment that a Masturbating Bear segment precedes the ‘In Memoriam’ segment.

I wish for world peace!

Because I have to.

I wish for a great idea for a start-up!

So I can make tons of money and then spend some time catching up on the previously mentioned series. If anyone has good ideas that they would not like to materialise themselves because they are allergic to money, please bring them forward. Or you know, I guess I could also wish to finish up my PhD, get a well-paying job, win a research grant, and have a formidable career. But a start-up sounds so much more fun!

I wish for Taylor Swift to stop making music and start doing something where I don’t have to see her annoying face!

I guess she could keep on making music but wear her hair like Sia’s. But then I would still have to put up with her annoying voice. Maybe she could write music and have her hair like Sia's, but keep in the background, again, ironically, like Sia. But then I would still have to put up with her annoying lyrics. This is turning into a personal attack on Taylor Swift and today is meant to be a positive day, so I will stop at ‘annoying lyrics’.

I wish for no more Disney live adaptations!

There, I said it! I never comment on it in other posts, but honestly, they are not better than the originals, I doubt kids will like them more than cartoons and why on earth cut Mushu from Mulan? Consider me disappointed.

I wish for more free storage space on Dropbox!

I think it may be time to end this post. Honestly, anything right after O’Brien and the Oscars could have been scrapped. I wish I had more things to wish for, but this has been a very nice birthday and I find myself feeling content. It won’t last long, but it’s better to end on a positive note to make up for all that Taylor Swift hate.

No comments:

Post a Comment