Wednesday 17 July 2019

Stumbled onto the Emmy’s nominations 2019



There is nothing more celebratory of my favourite pastime than the Emmy’s. Sure, the Oscars are the big event with the better venue and more expensive dress code (I assume, I wouldn’t know) but series is the real measure of how millennial you are. I am miles away from having seen everything, but I am very confused as far as some nominations are concerned. It is good to celebrate good work when it is deserved. But handing out nominations in a congratulatory manner is just making light of our investment and disappointment. And while I had sworn not to do this, yes, this post is mostly about Game of Thrones.

Marvelous Mrs Maisel got a bunch of nominations and nothing could have made me happier. Well, Good Omens getting the recognition it deserves would. But the comedy category was a ray of joy as well as Kumail Nanjiani being nominated for a guest appearance in a series I have not watched (but Kumail is life).

Nonetheless, I cannot get over the Game of Thrones nominations. Direction is a bit more subjective and the grandiose of this season cannot go overlooked, but how are Weiss and Benioff nominated for their writing? There is a globe of fans disappointed about the whole season, the character development, the poor plot, the underuse of certain actors and the underwhelming resolution of the most important storyline of the whole series. I have at least two friends that did not hate the season; that thought the last episode will make up for all of it, fill in the plot holes and justify a number of questionable choices. It did not. They were the most disappointed. And then the final episode of this idiotic downfall of the most impactful fantasy series of all time gets nominated for the writing? What writing? Tyrion got a couple of good lines in when talking with Jon Snow or confronting Daenerys, but what else is there? Everything that elevated Game of Thrones was missing and, frankly, it exposed it for the mediaeval soap-opera it secretly was. I understand that it is the final season and this is perhaps a celebration of an otherwise impeccable series (other than the last two-ish seasons). Scratch that, I don’t. Game of Thrones has enough awards from its good seasons, it does not need complimentary ones.

I am happy about some of the actors’ nominations. I think Gwendoline Christie and Alfie Allen getting nominated put a smile on my face almost immediately. I cannot exactly pin it down, it is not like they had the most screen time but something about them getting nominated made a lot of sense. Theon was one of the most complete characters that this season did not manage to wreck and I think Alfie Allen did the character justice. Peter Dinklage and Nicolaj Coster-Waldeu were also enjoyable. I personally am not a big fan of Emilia Clarke as an actor (but love her as a pop-culture icon), but she did the ‘I’m fine-I’m crazy’ transition as well as anyone could have, I guess. But then Lena Headey was nominated. She is wonderful. I am re-watching season five and she is amazing. But in the currently nominated season, if it weren’t for the different costumes, I would have thought that they shot her once looking out the window with a wine glass in her hand and called it a day. If the critics weren’t sure who to nominate, they should have taken a tour on 9gag and reddit and read all the memes about Headey getting a shitload of money for doing nothing the whole season. Don’t get me wrong, we were all very happy for her and her doing it shows that it can be done. I won’t lie and pretend I didn’t cry for half an hour straight about her and Jamie’s death, the greatest plot twist this season pulled off, so if that is why she is nominated then I’m happy. No, scratch that again, if she is nominated I want it to be because of the wine-drinking-window-looking.

I want to end on a positive note; I am nonetheless excited about these Emmy’s. I am invested in many of these nominees and I think the cultural change is more obvious than ever this year. The female nominees were so much more exciting that the male ones. Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Amy Sherman-Palladino, Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Amy Poehler dominated the comedy category with Waller-Bridge taking the time to flirt with ‘Best Drama Series’ award as well. Now that gender inequality in Hollywood has been in the spotlight, opportunities were distributed differently and we found out that stories can be successfully told from a woman’s perspective and be funny and witty and relatable. Shocking! I also want to end on a positive note about Game of Thrones in particular. Even if I am projecting my disappointment with Game of Throne’s final season on Emilia Clarke’s acting chops, I will be happy to hear the speeches about this 10-year sexually charged, death-filled pop-culture prodigy. And see Kit Harington out of rehab because I feel guilty about his being there. We know it wasn’t your fault, Kit.

No comments:

Post a Comment