Monday 6 July 2020

Stumbled onto a ‘Staged’ fifteen minute comedy series




I am going to continue to pretend I have regular readers. I mean I do; it is my housemate and a couple of friends, maybe an aunt if the photo is intriguing. So my regular readers will know that I consider the pairing of Tennant and Sheen for ‘Good Omens’ to be one of the best in recent TV history. Is it their individual flair and sexiness? Is it their chemistry and further combined sexiness? I cannot stress the word sexiness enough! Any project with these two names attached is a project I would binge in a single night. As I did.

Staged was a good opportunity; everyone is in lockdown and slowly losing their mind. The show practically wrote itself. The premise of the show is that the actors were meant to do a play together, which is put on hold because of the pandemic. The director suggests continuing rehearsals via Zoom to get a leg up on everyone else in West End. A good idea, almost devious, with poor execution. Tennant and Sheen, playing themselves, reluctantly agree, but there are numerous obstacles to their rehearsal, ranging from well-kept casting secrets to recycling mishaps. Their loving encounters turn to childish feuds and all of it is paired up with fun, witty (s)wordplay. They both end up insulting each others’ hair; a disgrace, considering they both have beautiful hair.

It is a simple and quick mockumentary; six episodes of 15 minutes each. Fifteen relatable minutes, as Zoom has taken over our lives and significantly limited our patience. The main differences with my Zoom meetings were the video and sound quality; this was not your standard Zoom recording, courtesy of the BBC, and the writers behind the episodes. I assume my Zoom meetings would also be much more enjoyable if they were scripted, regardless of image resolution. A suggestion for my next supervision, maybe. The fifteen minute episodes were wonderful. I assume it is best to watch one every night to end your day with joyous banter from two members of the Royal Shakespeare Company, but I for one watched the whole thing 12-4am. The running gags are hilarious and I have featured one in this post, which may go unnoticed but it will surely make me happy when I proof read. I do proof read even though it may not seem like it.

What I re-realised with ‘Staged’ is how refreshing it is that British comedies are adapting to our current ‘less is more’ attention span. I have mentioned it before that I do get worried when I can’t get through a two minute YouTube clip without checking the run time and almost force myself to stick through longer, boring clips. And I grew up thinking a 20 minute run time was as short as it could get; I can’t imagine how the vine generation feels. It makes sense that series would adjust, in fact, it was long overdue. ‘State of the Union’ also did this brilliantly, showing us a couple meeting up roughly ten minutes before their marriage counselling to have a drink and gossip. I guess it helps that they’ve got lovable comedy leads, like Chris O’Dowd, available. There is even a new platform on the rise, having paid attention to, well our lack of attention. Quibi is taking this idea further and will make a platform strictly for 10 minute series and it is widely thought that this will bring down Netflix. I can definitely see how it would work for comedy and how many talented writers currently working on sketch shows could get involved. Drama might be a bit more tricky, but if I got depressed withing ten minutes of Pixars’ ‘Up’, I am sure I can feel all sorts of things duing a Quibi drama. Again, on the one hand I do worry that we will all end up with ADHD, but on the other hand, why not embrace this fast-paced entertainment we yearn for? And in turn, why not bring down Netflix?

It was very fun and a good reminder that I was in love with David Tennant for most of high school. Only to watch ‘Good Omens’ and also fall in love with Michael Sheen. It seems that middle-aged Britons who have played Hamlet are my type. I am going to die alone. I am thankful for this limited series, because it gave me a great amount of giggles and was there for me when Frasier wasn’t. I grossly underestimated how many seasons of Seattle’s finest I should have taken with me on holiday and Staged came to the rescue. Sheen and Tennant do meta in a lovely, British, self-deprecating manner. Best kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment