Wednesday 2 October 2019

Stumbled onto Malcom Gladwell’s ketchup conundrum



This is a good moment to talk about what this blog was supposed to be about. It was literally supposed to be a deep dive into useless things that I just stumbled on. Instead, I mostly complain and judge in the written form about whatever I very intentionally come across. This is, therefore, possibly the first post where I actually stumbled onto something and then read up on it for seven hours straight. I stumbled onto an ad for Malcom Gladwell’s new book ‘Talking with Strangers’ and decided I should throw a day away obsessing over which of his books to read, if any. Yes, I am that suggestible.

Malcolm Gladwell is a very famous Canadian journalist, who is primarily known for his work for the New Yorker. I know of the New Yorker, but it would be extremely pretentious of me to act as if I have been reading this sophisticated magazine that is mentioned in any TV series when trying to portray someone as an intellectual. I instead know of Malcolm Gladwell through his podcast, ‘Revisionist History’, ‘a podcast about things overlooked and misunderstood’, as the tagline reads. Podcasts probably don’t hold the same valour as a well-established, prestigious magazine but listening to this podcast makes me feel a tad more intellectual, just as the magazine would. So, mischief managed. Googling him was supposed to be a 20-30 minute thing, but instead I fell down a rabbit-hole and started reading, among other things, about mustard and ketchup.

Assuming you have not read the aforementioned New Yorker article from 2004, I will briefly explain what this article was about; why a new brand of mustard managed to overtake the old brand of mustard, whereas a new brand of ketchup could not overtake the old brand of ketchup. That’s it. And I am a mayo girl, imagine the hours I would spend if they talked about mayo. I would probably still be googling. But god knows that article was well-written. Character descriptions, some action (involving ketchup tasting mostly), some lessons about advertising, some stats, and a mention of evolutionary theory. Much like his podcast something that would have been overlooked, was captivating. So the sad thing, and the reason I mentioned my original intentions for this blog five years later, is that I initially had the audacity to think I could do something similar in my blog. Thankfully, I quickly realised I would be nowhere near as interesting. Gladwell is a gifted writer and that is why these stories work. Surprisingly, that is what most of his critics also go after him for.

This is what mostly took up my time. The realisation that I took this intelligent-sounding man at his word a bit more than I should have. Because he is a journalist from such a well-known and respected magazine, because he gets paid 40,000 dollars for a single talk and because he is an excellent story-teller. He is convincing and he makes things sound simple and reasonable and that is just what I want from a podcast. That and good sound editing; if it sounds like it was recorded next to a construction site on a distant microphone, it is too niche for me. And I am sure he does his research and that there is a lot of work behind each of his podcasts, let alone each of his books. He sometimes does sound one-sided and cherry-picking the evidence. But realising the extent was heart-breaking. One example regarded his statistics about poets and their high suicide rates. I didn’t feel the need to doubt it; it made sense, and it was attached to a number and therefore sounded scientific enough. And knowing me, I would be quick to cite this fact in my next conversation about poetry, which luckily is never. But someone way more critical than me went back and checked the source of this statistic and it was an outdated article, with an ambiguous definition of poets, based on a tiny sample. I don’t even have to explain why that is not a credible statistic. I just want to make it clear that this outdated article was the source of the source that Gladwell uses (and cites) so what I am describing is not deception. Instead, it just points out that someone who writes beautifully and/or does research to support his already-existing argument might not necessarily be right or reliable.

Don’t get me wrong, his podcast is still excellent; it makes you revisit and think about stuff that has happened or is happening in a different way. And to be fair, that is exactly what Gladwell claims to do; open up discussions. I am sure the books are worth the read and I will read them, I mean the first three were international best-sellers. I have to, because just as I might not have been critical enough and just took Gladwell at his word regarding ketchup consistency, I wouldn’t be critical if I simply took the critics at their word. Again, just to be clear, none of them had a problem with the mustard/ketchup article and it is very, very cool if you would like to read it (link below). I bring this particular article up because I find it immensely impressive that this topic was made that intriguing and I thought it was a good example of what good story-telling can do. I guess I went into this turmoil because this realisation was particularly hurtful to me for two reasons. First of all, I am supposedly doing research and need to be critical and it seems I wasn’t and that is scary. And second of all, Gladwell basically discusses a bunch of different topics, very intelligently but without extensive knowledge. So it worries me that I wanted to do the same, but without the intelligence. I think we are all much safer if I keep on writing love letters to the MCU.

I think the best way for me to enjoy his work from now on is as a trigger, to maybe think about something I wouldn’t have and maybe even look up a couple of things. And while this blog is far from comparable to any of Gladwell’s work, the best way to enjoy it is to look up for any pop-culture references, self-deprecating comments and attempts at a joke.

Gladwell, M. (2004). The Ketchup conundrum. The New Yorker, September issue: <https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2004/09/06/the-ketchup-conundrum>

No comments:

Post a Comment