Sunday 17 February 2019

Stumbled onto the Podcast World


Little late to the game, I know, but this has been a life-changing experience. I first remember having the word ‘Podcast’ pop up on my iTunes as a separate category to music and videos (back when I had an iPod). I didn’t know what it might be and no answers I received made me curious at all to find out. I think I then revisited the word when I began listening to audiobooks and a friend asked ‘why audiobooks and not podcasts?’. But even then, I could not really see the point. But then my favourite famous human being started one, Conan O’Brien, and I decided I didn’t have much of a choice but to immerse myself in the Podcast experience.

So this started off as a fan-girl experience, planning to exclusively listen to ‘Conan O’Brien needs a friend’ so as to get my daily Conan dose that I was lacking as the show was off the air FOR EVER. But that was a one-hour Podcast per week. I needed more. I soon found out about comedic podcasts, informational podcasts and opinion podcasts from people whose opinion I would like to know. All of a sudden, Stitcher (because Spotify and iTunes want me to pay them money, which I won’t), was filled with downloaded episodes from about four ongoing Podcasts. And while that may not seem like a lot, bear in mind I like to catch up. I am not one of those people that can just accept that I came in late and will therefore skip the episodes I missed. I need to know, I need to be able to go ‘it used to be much better’ about any Podcast I am following. The current situation is that I walk, commute and shop with someone babbling on my headphones. And that is all good, apart from the few inconveniences that have occurred.

First of all, I have completely given up on music. I remember reading NME, jotting down bands and looking them up. I remember being able to chronologically comment on Cage the Elephant’s musical progression. I remember having a free Spotify membership (again, I am very cheap) and not allowing myself to listen to my own playlists until I had listened to my suggested mix, in order to learn new songs. And now, Arctic Monkeys came out with a new album in May 2018 and honestly, I might have heard it once? Have I? And it is not just new music that I have lost track of, I hadn’t intentionally listened to any music since October. That means none of my favourite songs, none of my guilty-not guilty pleasures and none of those songs that make you contemplate about life and love and happiness and worthiness and so on. Thankfully, Foals had a new single to break this streak, but even that I have listened to once. And I have referenced Foals enough on this blog for this statistic to be shocking. I miss music. I think, I can barely remember what it sounds like.

Secondly and most importantly, I look like an idiot. Constantly. This is especially true for the comedic Podcasts. You know how when you see a person laughing by themselves on the bus you make a mental note to sit away from them? Let’s just say I have a lot of personal space on my commutes lately. I walk down the street and I laugh, and I also try to hide it, which likely makes it worse. Most of the time I have a knowing grin on my face like I’m approving of a joke that no one else in the street has access to. It is ridiculous! Google satellite has now probably flagged me as a schizophrenic who is really, really enjoying those voices in her head.

But it is not just the comedic Podcasts. Unfortunately, my face is quite expressive regardless of content. So I might be buying courgettes and staring at them really hard because I am trying to understand how private insurance companies convinced the American public that public healthcare was a direct attack on their constitutional free will. But as I don’t have ‘I am listening to an anti-Trump Podcast’ written on my forehead, I just look confused by courgettes. And sometimes I am, I mean, they must be closely related to cucumbers right? There are just so many similarities. And pumpkins. For some reason I feel like those are related.

Lastly, I am victim to the same problem we all are, now that TV has taken a backseat to streaming services and the internet. AKA, I don’t really have someone to talk about one of the past times that takes up quite a bit of my day. It is more and more the case that we all deal with our own pop cultures that are popular for a large number of people, but not a large number of people you personally know. There is a sometimes a false sense of something’s popularity and I feel as if that has created some personal barriers in communication. This is something I would like to discuss in a separate blog post, as it is sometimes funny and sometimes scary, but for the sake of this topic it is quite simple. Apparently not everyone listens to ‘No such thing as a fish’ and apparently I am not good at repeating jokes. Therefore I am now unlikeable. And Podcasts are to blame.

Whining aside, I am loving this world of Podcasts. They are amazing and much needed distractions, they feel way more genuine and they are a practical alternative to YouTube videos to pass your time. And as a person whose emotional wellbeing very much depends on distractions I am grateful for the ability to take them with me on the tube. Last thing, ads on podcasts are a lot better. Take note, YouTube.



No comments:

Post a Comment