Thursday 11 August 2016

Tribute summer: Tribute to Muse

This has almost been said and done already. I never miss a chance to say how much I love Muse, regardless of the topic. Having finally seen the three-piece live in my home country has re-awoken that adoration I felt when I first consciously heard ‘Time Is Running Out’. They are my absolute favourite band for about 8 years now and even though my taste in music has changed a lot since, they remain a stable number ‘Uno’ throughout their better albums and worst.

I believe that before a proper tribute some things need to be said. Firstly, I can now admit that ‘The 2nd Law’ was not a good album. There are a couple of good songs (Panic Station), a couple of okay songs that we got used to liking (Madness) and then mostly monotone, forgettable songs which is not what Muse has us accustomed to. My personal feeling is that it was a sound still in progress. Secondly, I am a self-acclaimed ‘old muser’, meaning that I have the typical ‘the first four albums are the best that define the band and were their peak’ thing going. I apologise for this, I should be able to put this prejudice aside but I can’t. And lastly, while I will spend sometime praising Dom Howard (drummer) and Chris Wolstenholme (bassist), I am very much in love with the musicianship of Matt Bellamy and it would be hypocritical of me to say all three hold equal spaces in my heart.

Another thing I need to get out of the way is that I know that saying Muse is your favourite band has lost all street credit. I know that they have taken a turn towards pop which others dislike and others that I dislike like. They have an extravagant sound and that can often play at borderline silly. You have extraterrestrial fascination lyrics, you have the Orwellian lyrics, you have the dramatic words popping up here and there and some clichés like ‘Love is forever because our love will be forever’ or something like that. But once you get past the fear of what others will say about the music you listen to, you realise that it is a band pushing boundaries within the mainstream music industry.

They are craftsmen, but that was proven way too early on. Matt’s voice is practically an extra instrument, a fine-tuned, beautiful hue and all of them command their actual instruments like a drill sergeant making and breaking and making them A FUCKING PSYCHO (dun dun dudun dudun dun). So instead of just playing excellent riffs (where the bass and guitar both have challenging melodies, yet somehow complete one another rather than overburdening the sound), they try out new things, adopt new technology and knock on Queen’s door with orchestral additions making use of that classical training Matt Bellamy so obviously has.

Back to the lyrics, which I seem to mock. I do not. I much prefer a good tune to good lyrics, I think I have mentioned that before, but I do not think that Muse’s lyrics are not good. Drones is a bit over-the-top for me lyrically but I cannot lie and say that I don’t love singing along to Mercy and Dead Inside and Psycho. I do not exactly feel touched emotionally but they are fun, very fun (especially psycho, dun dun dudun dudun dun). And I also do appreciate that they are not ‘girlfriend songs’ or about how they are cool and can take the trash from the press. I like that they are about their beliefs for their government even in a raw name-calling of those in charge as fat cats (actually that was awesome). It shows nerve and especially from a now considered mainstream band.

Up to now this seems like me defending a band as if it needs defending, but I am just easing in the reader for that intense ‘I would give up all other existing music for Muse’ statement. So one last thing to go.  This is about ‘The Resistance’, the most overlooked album. I admit I am biased as it is the first album that came out after I started to fanatically listen to Muse but I still feel like it has suffered a great injustice. No one appreciated it as much as they should! It should be up there with the first four albums, it is almost impeccable (I am not crazy about ‘Resistance’ the song) and so many of its songs are perfect examples of Muse’s sound. I know Drones is supposed to be the Dystopian concept album but honestly, I thought that about ‘The Resistance’. Lyric-wise it switched wonderfully between social restriction, politicising human nature and despair while keeping the love theme strong. Musically, it had noteworthy melodies, each one very distinguishable and very melodic. In other words, good album!

And now for the constrained, promised tribute. This band is not a band for hipsters, they are widely and popularly known; it is not a band for wannabe philosophers or hopeless romantics, The Smiths will have you covered there. It is a band for whoever loves music as an art, a form of expression and, as mentioned before, a craft. They are talented and skillful, I honestly believe that Matt Bellamy could have easily been a highly regarded piano virtuoso executing all those classical pieces of music, that is craftsmanship. But they also write original songs that are masterpieces. Who else could have written such an emotionally powerful song with the title ‘Sunburn’? Or who else could have such an electric guitar infused song like ‘Plug-in Baby’ sound so damn melodic? Or who else could have given a song like ‘Time is Running Out’ such a groovy twist? Or caused joyful melancholy with that orchestration that we get in ‘Starlight’? And those are just the most famous songs out of the first four albums, the best four albums. They are joined by equally good if not better tracks and b-sides that would have been amazing singles (if you haven’t, please listen to ‘Easily’).

To once again tie this with a previous entry, how good a band is has a lot to do with how good they are live. And these three guys are amazing live. Their earlier shows were short on production and other people helping them (like Morgan Nichols) and it was a total shock that three guys could produce such a full sound. That is something that also impressed on their recorded songs, but imagine seeing three people and think you are listening to about five or six. Their performance is so powerful; Dom looks like an athlete towards the end of a marathon trying to simultaneously lift weights while on the drums. He is giving it everything he has got with amazing precision yet with passion that you would expect would throw him off track completely. Chris is so cool throughout the set while his hands do magic on that bass (if that sounds sexual it is because he is one sexy man), an underrated musician, not because he is not considered good but because he is even better. And of course, Matt Bellamy, the ultimate musician, artist and performer. I do not even now which concerts to suggest for you to watch, but he is one of those people that should be included in a Duracell commercial. While the visuals lately have also been top notch, my only regret is that I never saw them live on their earlier days which, as YouTube suggests, were so much more spontaneous and weird.

And lastly, while there is no reason to appreciate a band because of this, they seem like really nice guys. They are adorably enjoying their fame, they do not pretend to be working class heroes when everybody knows but they do not shove it in your face. They have that constant ‘I can’t believe I am living this’ smile on their faces with a bit of a surprise and a lot of appreciation. They don’t take themselves too seriously in interviews and are more than glad to express their strong thoughts on politics without the much used hint of sarcasm cool musicians tend to use. Plus Matt Bellamy can recite the alphabet backwards, look it up!


Wow, and this is the short version. Anyhow, this band has given me something to love and something to remind me how much I love music and love loving music (so much love). If I ever could I would thank them for covering a whole spectre of emotions for me (fun, melancholy, awe etc.) provided I could get the words out. And for the haters, has your favourite band ever had you thinking you were marching into battle for your beliefs? i.e. Has your favourite band written masterpieces like ‘Kinghts of Cydonia’? Whatever you think of their latest work, you cannot deny their past. Muser out.

No comments:

Post a Comment