Sunday 25 October 2015

Stumbled upon a 9gag post



So the cherry on top of my nerd-cv is of course the endless hours I spend on 9gag. It is not uncommon that the posts there reflect other areas of interest so I am not going to bother you with pretences that what I came across was something unexpected. Quite the opposite.

 I always knew that I could not be the only one! I always knew there were others like me… I am talking, of course, about the prospect of a Harry Potter prequel as you might have guessed.
Personally my favourite chapters throughout the series were the ones about the four animagi, the girl and the ugly git with the abnormally large nose. So, Prisoner of Azkaban Ch. 18, Order of Phoenix Ch. 28 and of course, The Deathly Hallows Ch. 33 (I am tearing up just writing the last one down). You can imagine how furious I was with the movies in the first two cases, when these beautiful scenarios were rushed and blurry and not given the justice they deserve! Forget about Peeves, you can’t explain all of Remus’s misfortune and Sirius’s dedication to James in under a minute while having them run around a table chasing a bloody mouse!

This goes out to those agreeing that not only more should have been done in the movies, but more could be said by books, new books that is (the old ones are obviously flawless). There’s just so much material! They were Hogwarts’ biggest mischievous foursome; this could at least make one book all about our three handsome boys and their slimy parasite. The story could revolve around a central love triangle possibly and sidelines could include Remus’s  secret, their struggle to become animagi, Petegrew’s questionable character etc. And Rowling, like no one else, can so subtly yet effectively show the transition through adolescence. Who better than her to transform that egotistical narcissist, James, to the dream boy of every girl’s fantasy.

Rowling has demonstrated a preference for a character focused narration, so I would suppose that would be the case. It could be from James, in order to keep ‘Potter’ in the title, and leave Snape’s side of the events kind of appearing but our main character not realising it. We would know the truth, it would be a running joke (not a joke per say). Just think about it:

‘James was walking down the Great Hall when he overheard Snape saying something about hazel eyes. James wondered whether their potions class was getting just a tad too demanding. He made a mental note to let Lily know she might be in danger in the unlikely event that Snivellus notices her eye colour.’

Admittedly not the best piece of writing ever but you get the idea.

Or it could be someone more distant like Lupin, which would greatly satisfy me as I am endlessly in love with him. It could offer a third person perspective to the whole thing. And it seems as if he would be a likeable character throughout, calm and sound. Or it could be Snape and we could all be reaching for handkerchiefs in every single page.

Bottom line is, a prequel of some form would work. People love the characters from the Harry Potter series like they love their friends, I know this from experience. If Harry, Ron and Hermione have reached their peak, James, Sirius, Remus, Lily and Snape are the safest bet. They are already loved and probably have a hell of a story to share.  All I can do is wish and daydream and I invite you to do the same. But remember, ‘it does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live’! That’s easy for a wizard living at Hogwarts to say though.




No comments:

Post a Comment