Saturday 11 October 2014

Stumbled on a Retro Fanatic

Having established in my previous blog entry that mainstream music is not the devil, I think it is time to discuss another nostalgic topic; how terrible music is nowadays, not like old times… The times I have heard or said this are probably making this whole text completely irrelevant and unreliable. But as “words are spoken to be broken”, I have to stand up for my true and debatable belief; music today is just fine!

To begin with, it is only a bit weird hearing 20-year olds saying that referring to the 90’s. Well, they weren't in much of a state of judgement then were they? When they grew up a bit they got acquainted with Nirvana, Offspring and all those 90’s jewels. But I have an idea about why that music is… “music to your ears”; it is because it is the tip of the iceberg! The base consisted of Wet Wet Wet and Right Said Freddy. In 2050, when the same whiny teenagers talk of 2010’s, they will not likely talk about “Anacoda”- Nicki Minaj, but maybe “Lonely Boy”- Black Keys. And yes, there has been an exponential increase in song production therefore maybe more stupid songs are trending now but I’m pretty sure there were thousands songs then that were and are inaudible.

The other thing I find weird is having two different sorts of people say this; my father and my friend. Why is that weird? ‘Cause when my father says “music used to be much better than this concentrated noise”, he means Beethoven (that is 1880) and Bach (three to four centuries ago)! That makes both the Beatles and Jimmy Hendricks seem like yesterday, doesn't it? What I mean is that we technically are in the same era with the 60’s chronologically and conceptually. If my generation merges Bach and Beethoven into one genre, classical music, then only one genre corresponds to The Stone Roses and Fall Out Boy (love and hate them respectively). Now, I am obviously not talking for that small (unfortunately) percentage that can differentiate between Bach’s more baroque era and Beethoven’s romantic. Bottom line is, music has not changed that drastically within its genres (yes, there are more than one genres to choose from!).

All this probably doesn't change the fact that past music sounds better than current to most, but once again, I just feel it has to do with nostalgia and exposure. As far as nostalgia is concerned, Backstreet Boys – “Get Down” is just as cheesy as One Direction – “Live while we’re young”. But one of them is connected to kids’ parties and more carefree times and personally, that one I love. As far as exposure is concerned, Eagles – “Hotel California” is the one song I expect every living soul to know. It’s on the radio, it is in movies, it is everywhere. And it has been for so long! But the world is not ending tomorrow, so songs of today may be the next generation’s or the generation after “Hotel California”. Personally I’m rooting for Psy – “Gangham Style” just for the hell of it!

Whenever you feel gloomy, listening to a past tune,
Put on Macarena and puke from night till noon.
Whenever current music fills you up with holes,
Worry not, my friends, there’s “Holy Fire”-Foals.

No comments:

Post a Comment